Darwinianity: The Religion of Darwinian Evolution
Reading recent books by Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, I am now considering the so-called new atheism to be in reality Darwinian Evolution as religion. It has many of the earmarks of a religion.
- It attempts to answer many of the larger questions of life — existentially.
- Where do I come from? Answer: from a pool of chemicals by way of apes.
- Where am I going? Non-existence.
- How am I saved? (1) By being green and accepting a new-age oneness with creation. (2) Read Dawkins. (3) Attack those ignorant Christians.
- What is good and evil? (1) Darwin is good. (2) Relativistic morality (3) Except when it comes to those evil Christians. The most ironic aspect of this new religion (new atheism) is it’s dogmatic stance that religion is bad. Yet, how do they measure good and evil, if we all just come from a mindless pool of chemicals? (4) Religion is evil.
- Why am I here? (1) To survive as a species. (2) To worship Darwin and enjoy him forever, or at least until I am worm food. (3) To evolve into a higher form of Darwin believer. (4) To attack Christians. (5) To save the planet by being green and using flourescent bulbs.
- What is truth? (1) Philosophical materialism. (2) Whatever Dawkins says it is.
- Who or what is my authority? (1) Charles Darwin and Richard Dawkins is his prophet.
- It has its own leaders – Darwin, Dawkins and Hitchens to name three.
- It has its own place of worship – New Age churches, Universal Unitarians, and most liberal mainline denominations.
- It is highly dogmatic and rejects all opposition.
Can you add to the list? Sacraments?
7 Comments »